Breaking News

Noel Interview From Q Magazine















"Oasis always excel at the Q Awards," says Noel Gallagher as he storms up the red carpet into ranks of baying paparazzi and tabloid hacks. "These are our awards."

Looking dapper in black jeans and jacket accessorised with a cream scarf with gold clasp, he woke up in his eight-bedroom country pile in Buckinghamshire this morning around 8.30am, had tea brought to him by his missus Sarah and tried out a new melody on his acoustic guitar in the lounge.

But, he says, he couldn't concentrate. He was relishing the explosive chemical equation which states that Liam Gallagher plus champagne awards ceremony plus Keane plus A-Ha equals a definite ruck in the hallowed Grosvenor House ballroom.

However, by 10am Noel was reeling from the news that Liam has chosen today of all days to visit London Zoo.

"Fair play to him, though, he claims it was a moment of clarity," says Noel. "He said that he was so bent on trouble he'd only spoil it for everyone else and decided to stay away. I had to get him to repeat it to me. I couldn't beleive my f***ing ears."

This year has been one of transition for Oasis. Since completing their world tour in March they've dedicated themselves to pursuits outside rock. There has been extensive building work to country properties, holidays to Ibiza ("Top") and Miami ("Shit"). There's also been a coming of age. In just under half an hour, Noel Gallagher will be shocked into a brief moment of silence when he wins the coveted Q Classic Songwriter gong. There's also a greatest hits album out and a major tribute due at next February's Brit Awards, where Oasis will be the guests of honour and recipients of the Outstanding Contribution To Music trophy.

"You don't expect to be an elder statesman before toy've hit 40," says the 29-year-old legend elect. "But f**k it. Bring it on. We'll spend the next couple of months being brown-nosed and drinking champagne, and then we can get on and make a new album.

Paul Weller was muttering something under his breath as he presented you with the Classic Songwriter Award. What did he say?

He was having a pop at me - I deserved it. We got on the podium and I said to him, "You never got one of these, did you?" He said something like, "No, How've you managed it ripping people off? You Jammy b****rd ."

The Greatest Hits album - you said you'd never do one while the band were together.

We had no choice. We told Sony we wouldn't re-sign after Don't Beleive The Truth. They own the rights to the back catalogue and as they're going down the f***ing toilet they wanted a shitload of Oasis music for Christmas. If I had the power it wouldn't be coming out. We were left with the dilemma: step back and don't get involved or get involved and pick the songs you want. If it has to be now it has to be now.

Have you started recording the next album?
There were 11 songs left off Don't Beleive The Truth. Seven good, four great. There's one of Liam's called The Boy With The Blues, which is fantastic. There's Stop The Clocks, Let It Come Down Over Me and Lord Don't Slow Me Down - which is also the title of this tour film we've got coming out. The director says it's about the love an audience has for a band. It looks like us doing shows and me and Liam having arguments, to me.

I asked Andy Bell earlier if there would be a new direction. He said: "We're moving down a long dark tunnel and it's getting narrower and darker every day."

[Laughing] I f***ing love Andy Bell! He should be doing all our interviews. I guess we've learned that we write on acoustic guitar. I've never been one to challenge my audience. Have you seen my audience? They're f***ing confused enough as it is. They're like, "There's been 18 members in this f***ing band since the start. I don't think I can cope with a change of f***ing musical direction." We are influenced by a period of music starting in 1956 with Elvis, and it would be preposterous for us to start wearing top hats and playing some dub fork drum'n'bass. Having said that, I'll write a song on a synthesizer just to shut you lot up.

The Arctic Monkeys had a go at Take That. You bonded with them. Does Manc allegiance override musical bond?

I don't like the Take That shtick, but they seem like nice guys. The thing is, it's like Big Brother or Justin Timberlake or Celebrity Love Island. If you live with a woman, you have to take an interest because it's women's culture. I have to listen to Take That and Justin Timberlake. I'd like to sneak upstairs and watch a documentary about how the Nazis brainwashed sharks into attacking Allied ships, but I can't.

How are things with Liam? I'm not sure about his zoo excuse. You were sceduled to arrive separately and sit on seperate tables...

So what? Our relationship isn't changing we walk off tours, we fight, but we still manage to hold it together. If i'm brutally honest I'm not his favourite person and vice versa, but it's not just about us: we have to think of Gem and Andy and whoever happens to be playing drums for us that particular afternoon.

Dont you ever call him up and say, "Hey bruv, fancy a pint?"

Nope. But he'll call me at 4am to be disgustingly insulting to me. But we're entering a new and possibly dangerous era. he's just bought his first country pile and he's down the road from me! The idea that he could now pop over at 4am and have a rant is scaring me and the missus. I've heard that local property prices are plummeting.

I saw you and Bono having a good chat. Are you still impervious to the state of the world?

War in Iraq? Nothing to do with me. I didn't f**king start it. I went out to dinner with a big name who said, "Why do you think it's cool not to care?" I don't think it's cool not to car. But I believe that if I and Bono and Johnny Borrell tell the North Koreans to get rid of their nuclear weapons they would, quite rightly, say, f**k off. What are you going to do? Hit me over the head with a f**king guitar?" Now, if any terrorist came knocking on my f**king door that would be different.

Do you have armed response at your house?

No, just pure Northern belligerence. That'll sort them out.

You weren't always so non-political. If David Cameron is the next PM, would you go round for a glass of champers?

I'll give that c**t the same as I gave Tony Blair. What time do you want me there? I'll lay down a few f**king ground rules just like I did to Tony Blair. I'm in charge in London and I have been for the last 10 years. You keep out of Marylebone and I'll keep out of Whitehall. But I think he'll get in. The Labour Party have achieved something that the anarchists have been trying to do for years. They've killed politics. It feels like you're a bit better off cos you've got a flat-screen TV and a iPod, but I don't think any of us really are.

Does that affect you? How Much is a pint of milk?

They don't do pints down my supermarket. In my waitrose it's a litre for about 70p. I go every day. Ask any of the checkout girls down on Marylebone High Street.

Source: Q Magazine

No comments