Breaking News

Liam Gallagher On Fans And Snobby Mums And More















There was blood, there was rock'n'roll, and there were irate primary school mums. It was just another day in the life of Liam Gallagher.

But as the dust settled the day after Oasis had graced the stage at Murrayfield, the band's frontman was still "up for it" as he embarked on a tour of the city's pubs.

Stopping to chat with fans, pose for photographs and sign autographs, he called in at The Jinglin' Geordie in Fleshmarket Close yesterday afternoon, where one of the locals from the neighbouring Halfway House invited him for another tipple.

He headed down the Close and spent an hour and a half tucked into a corner booth of Edinburgh's smallest boozer.

Pub owner Steve Whiting said: "I said I'd stand him the first one, so I bought him a Guinness. He looked like he was enjoying himself. The first thing he did was go straight to the jukebox and put the Stones and the Beatles on. He was chatting with all the locals, he seemed very personable indeed. He said the gig had gone very well."

A pint or two into his walkabout, Liam slipped out for a cigarette and a chat to the Evening News, ready to wax lyrical about the Capital, which he described as: "Beautiful, amazing, f****** biblical, in fact. Words can't explain it, it's just something that's out of my realm, really f****** beautiful. The best it can be."

He said he'd decided to opt for a liquid lunch after failing to get a feed at his hotel: "I rang room service at about half 11 and said 'Can I have breakfast?' They said 'No' so I said 'Can I have dinner then?', and they said 'No', so I thought I'll have a pint and meet the people," he said.

Asked if he was "chuffed" with the way the gig had gone, he said: "I don't do it to be chuffed, I do it because it's something that's got to be done. I wouldn't do it to enjoy it, it's not about being a smiley-pants. My reason is to make people happy and not break people's days, to make people's days. The crowd was beautiful."

Not everybody's day was made by the band's arrival. As the News reported on Wednesday, parents at Roseburn Primary, close to Murrayfield, were fuming when the council closed the school for the afternoon because of the crowds expected in the area.

On stage, Liam dedicated Cigarettes and Alcohol to "everyone who had half a day off" and the "snobby" mums at Roseburn, but in the cold light of day, he reflected: "They didn't p*** me off, I thought it was cool. I just hate posh people who work all day. It's about time they spent time with their kids and I reckon they should have had a full day off with their kids, not just a half day off. It's about the kids."

The night was also marred by violence when a man was badly beaten up on the pitch before Oasis arrived onstage, but Liam was laid back about the ruck: "I didn't see it. But that's f****** Oasis man, that's rock and roll. Fine, if that's what people want to talk about, but fighting at a rock and roll concert, f****** hell, do they not scrap here every night when someone stands on their kebab? Is it the first f****** fight that's ever happened in Edinburgh?"

On which note, he made his way back up Fleshmarket Close, stopping to be photographed with a blushing fan, who said: "Sorry, you must get so fed up of this."

"No, I f****** love it," he replied.

Source: www.scotsman.com

Tickets are still available for a number shows on Oasis' largest-ever UK Stadium tour, click here for availability of tickets.

No comments