Breaking News

Alan McGee On Creation Records Film Upside Down













Former Creation boss Alan McGee talks about the release of Upside Down, a film based on his label - And how he is bored with the music industry.

Forming a record label in his early twenties in London with little money was impressive by anyone’s standards, but engineering one of music’s best loved and most missed labels was something else.

He signed Oasis when no one else wanted them and pioneered a music revolution, seeing talent in bands that other labels couldn’t see.

And now, Creation fans eagerly await the release of Upside Down, a documentary film by Danny O’Connor about the birth, death and life of Creation Records.

The film tells the story of the hedonistic times of Creation Records who signed My Bloody Valentine, Primal Scream, The Jesus and Mary Chain, among others.

Talking about the film, Alan McGee says: “It will be good, Danny is a really good film maker and the bits that I have seen look great - It definitely captures the spirit and the madness of the Creation days.

“Danny keeps finding stuff that no one in the world has ever seen – forty hours of Primal Scream on tour and stuff like that.”

Featuring throughout Upside Down is Primal Scream frontman Bobby Gillespie, who is one of Alan’s oldest friends and was signed to Creation.

Alan says: “I think the star of the film is Bobby Gillespie, who unbelievably intellectualises it – not because the guy is an intellectual, but somehow he seems to understand what Creation was better than anyone else.

He adds: “Bobby I think is the star of it, which is fair do’s really, because I don’t think I could have done Creation without Bobby.”

Growing up in Cathcart in Glasgow’s Southside, McGee attended local school, Kings Park Secondary. Leaving school at 14, Alan’s memories were not as fond as the ones the school had.

He laughs: “I went to Kings Park Secondary and ironically they had an Alan McGee business award, even though I stopped going to school at 14.”

He added: “I think it is only me and Bobby Gillespie as far as I understand, that have ever come to national promeninance or notoriety.

“The school hated me and it was ironic they were having an award for someone they wanted to throw out.”

Fed up with the music business, but still interested in bands, McGee plans to set up a media company this year with Senegal Producer Dean Cavanaugh. Originally agreeing to a cameo role, McGee has appeared in cult internet comedy, Svengali, a hilarious story about one man’s quest for fame in the music business.

Alan says: “I am hanging out with Dean Cavanaugh and we might get a media company together, do documentaries and films.

“I am kind of over with the music business – I think it’s a load of rubbish. I like gigs and I like young bands – new bands that haven’t been signed and have got the spirit.”

Looking forward to some releases in 2010, Alan says: “I am really excited about the new Glasvegas record, Paul Weller’s record and Noel’s (Gallagher) record.

He adds: “If I start listening to Sidney Devine, then start worrying! My dad is talking about a come-back; he was talking about reforming the John McGee Orchestra, now that’s scary.”

To watch the official trailer for Upside Down, please click here and to watch Alan in Svengali, please click here.

Source: icscotland.icnetwork.co.uk

Vote for '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' for 'BRITs Album of 30 Years' HERE!

No comments