Breaking News

The Gospel According To Liam Gallagher













Now that Oasis have officially split, with seemingly little hope of reconciliation in the near future, frontman Liam Gallagher has concentrated his efforts on his new clothing line, Pretty Green.

Here, in a rare interview, Chris Sullivan talks to him about style, pointed shoes and his beginnings, and does his best to cajole a comment or two about the Oasis break-up.

The quality of your label is really exceptional. Usually you only see that degree of craftsmanship and cloth in Jermyn Street.

We just went for it, man. I wanted it to be the best 'cos there’s no point in fucking about is there? Yeah, man, you gotta start as you mean to go on.

How important was it that you oversaw everything?

Yes, if it don’t look good on me, then I’m not having it. I’ve a bit of time on my hands now, so I thought why not? Let’s get stuck into it. I’m not a fashion man. I’ve never done fashion before, but I know what looks good and what I like and that is as far as it goes.

How would you describe the clothes?

It’s timeless. Classic clobber. Parkas, macs, boating blazers, quality polo shirts, desert boots… Nothing too wild. It’s quality.

What was the first item of clothing you bought with your own money?

I used to be into Patrick and Lacoste – all the casual football gear, you know? Dunlop Green Flash was always top of the agenda – Levi’s, tracksuit top… You know the stuff.

Is there anything you’ve worn that you look back on and go, 'no!'?

People are having a pop at these [he holds his foot up to reveal a pair of faux leopardskin Yves St Laurent soft driving loafers], but I think they are the nuts, man. These are my pride and fucking joy.

What are your thoughts on pointed shoes?

I fucking hate pointed shoes. Not for me, man. They’re for girls and that. I don’t like these skintight jeans either. I don’t mind a bit of slim, but I’m not into baggy either. I can’t tell whether they are a boy or a girl. Are you a fucking chick or a bloke? In my opinion, a girl has to look like a girl and a lad like a lad.

What about trainers?

I had a pal who used to send me all this Adidas stuff, but as soon as you hit 30 you have to drop all that stripes and stuff.

What's the secret of your success?

Being real, man. The gigs were completely serious, but the rest of it we were having a laugh. Getting everyone at it. We weren’t built on a career plan, we just fucking did it and it happened.

Why would you stop?

That’s the beauty of Oasis – we could implode and then we couldn’t, and we did, and there you fucking go. But it took the members of Oasis to knock it on the head and not the fucking people who were knocking us down and said we wouldn’t last. No one got to us except for us. We got to ourselves and I am very proud of that.

Eighteen years is a long time.

Especially when a lot of people are on your case, saying you’re shit and all that. We were the only ones that brought Oasis down and not all those *****.

Do you share my dislike of U2?

I have never seen a U2 fan, not ever. I have never seen anyone with a U2 shirt or been around someone’s house that has a fucking U2 record. I mean, where do their fans fucking come from? Where are they? I reckon they buy them. With all the money they’ve made, they just bought a load of people and every time they do a gig they get a big old shovel and pile them into their gigs to make them look good.

Michael Jackson – genius or not?

A genius without a doubt. Not my kind of music, but the missus loves it. I preferred him when he was in the Jackson Five, but then he turned into a bit of a nut job. But it was always on the cards wasn’t it? He lived in America for a start and anyone who has their own fairground in the back garden has to go fucking nuts. I have a couple of trees and a garden fucking shed, so it keeps me well on the ground. At least I ain’t got a fucking Ferris wheel. Bound to drive you mad.

What was it like with your first album [Definitely Maybe] going stratospheric in a matter of weeks?

It was fucking great, man. I didn’t freak me out at all. I’d been digging holes in Manchester for the last four fucking years, so I was ready for it, man. I was like, "Here’s that fucking spade, you can have it!"

Last word about your label?

If you like it and you can afford it, get it on, and if you can’t, save up.

The 2010 spring/summer collection from Pretty Green is now available at www.prettygreen.com

Source: www.redbull.com

No comments