Breaking News

Bonehead On Life After Oasis















He has been there and done it. Lived the rock 'n' roll dream with the biggest British band of the past two decades.

But Paul Arthurs, better known as Bonehead, who walked out on Oasis in 1999 declaring "there was no fun in it any more", is starting again with The Vortex, a Manchester five-piece that merges rock guitars with dance.

Alan McGee, who discovered Oasis, described the guitarist's new outfit as "set for big things... setting the controls for the heart of the northern anthem as if Kasabian never existed."

You can make up your own mind when they play The Maze in a couple of weeks.

Indie guitars and dance – are you reviving Madchester?

"No. There are full-on guitar lines, they're big songs but we use a lot of dance samples and loops. We have a girl on backing vocals. I get a Screamadelica/Primal Scream vibe off it."

Isn't it hard playing the pub circuit after 250,000 people at Knebworth in one weekend?

"It's a joy. Something like Knebworth was amazing, every boy's dream. But I like being on the road, going back to basics. I missed that with Oasis. It's what I've always loved about being in a band."

Is it better for you not being in the shadow of Noel and Liam, having greater control?

"I wouldn't say control but I've developed a lot more of my playing. I have got more freedom. It's got an energy I feel Oasis were lacking, at the point that I left, anyway. It's more edgy. I'm really enjoying it."

What happened with your previous band The Seers?

"We did all right, we did a lot of gigs but it fizzled out."

Are people still asking you about Oasis at the gigs?

"It used to be 'why did you leave Oasis?' but people have got over that. All I get off people is pure love. They respect me for what I did in Oasis and they're respecting what I'm doing with The Vortex. They do come to the gigs out of curiosity but when I come off stage they want to know about The Vortex."

Are you a better musician now than a decade ago?

"A lot better I think. I'm learning loads more in the studio. I'm a lot more hands-on these days."

Aren't you fed up of hearing new bands trying to sound like Oasis?

"I don't know if they're trying to sound like Oasis but they're influenced by us and that's not a bad thing."

When will The Vortex release an album?

We're finishing it now. We're paying for it ourselves. So by the end of summer we'll have one ready. We've got interest (from record labels) but we're just getting on with it"

What is your take on the Oasis split?

"I was sad it happened how it did, ending with a fight. I look forward to hearing their solo stuff. I just hope what Noel and Liam come out with is as good as I expect it to be."

Source: www.thisisnottingham.co.uk

I HAVE SCANS FOR THIS ARTICLE IN MY INBOX, I WILL PUT THEM IN THE COMMENTS A LITTLE LATER.

'Time Flies... 1994-2009' is out now for more details click here.

1 comment

stopcryingyourheartout.com said...

http://tinypic.com/r/n1ed6x/6

http://tinypic.com/r/eq9idt/6

http://tinypic.com/r/pkjn/6