Breaking News

Alan McGee Credits Model With Oasis Discovery












Music legend Alan McGee has sourced plenty of great bands during his years in the business including The Libertines and Primal Scream – but his greatest discovery owes itself to a certain female figure.

The Glasgow mogul – who founded the legendary Creation Records – was just a love-struck young man when he entered King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut on the city's St Vincent Street in May 1993.

Waiting to be set up with a model friend of his sisters, McGee took little note of the floppy haired Mancunian brothers raggedly setting up their instruments on the nearby stage.

However, a cruel twist of fate would result in McGee finding one of the greatest rock n’ roll bands in British music history.

Speaking to The Hour, McGee told the real story behind his discovery of Oasis and how he plans to cope with retirement from the industry he loves.

“I didn’t go looking for Oasis,” explained McGee. “I was actually chasing a model at the time but I can’t say who because she was my sister’s friend.

“The girl didn’t show up in the end but me and my sister stayed to watch this band, who turned out to be Oasis. So that’s actually why I was there.

“Most of my best signings have been to do with chasing women. It helps because girls usually know what’s good in music.”

Now retired from the cut-throat music industry, the man who discovered some of Britain’s biggest bands is now working behind a film documenting his days with Creation Records.

Aptly titled Upside Down, the movie tells the story behind one of music’s biggest and most chaotic movements and how Britpop would change the nation’s musical tastes for years to come.

Although McGee admits that the days of The Beatles and Oasis are long gone he still has high hopes that his home city can produce some more music greats – even without his legendary eye for talent.

“I like some Scottish new bands. I like Glasvegas obviously and I like Pete Macloud.

“There are three cities that are really important in UK for music. Probably the most important city is Manchester, but Liverpool and Glasgow are also important.

“I think it’s the fact that these cities are all cultural centres for Irish people and that celtic-ness, it just kinda works."

Watch the interview here.

Source: stv.tv/music

No comments