Breaking News

Paul Weller On Noel Gallagher's Solo Work And More


As part of the current edition of NME Gold, Paul Weller has spoken out about his admiration for friend and collaborator Noel Gallagher.

“I’ve liked everything he’s done solo. I don’t really need to talk about what a great songwriter he is, because everyone knows that. But, for me, he’s got better. I don't really need to talk about what a great songwriter he is, because everyone knows that. But, for me, he's got better. I think his songs now have got a different sort of depth to them; lyrically as well. Especially the new one. I really like the words on it. He’s got his own thing together. He's a magpie in his writing which he fully admits to, and he'll take a little bit of everything, but at the end of the day you can really hear 'That's Noel Gallagher'. You can hear it in his words, his melody, the way he puts his chords together.

There’s some fucking great songs on the first two albums, some big tunes, and he is the master as well of that kind of anthem. And writing anthems is not an easy thing to do. And he really knows his shit on that. There’s a song on the second solo album called ‘The Girl With The X Ray Eyes’, which I think is an amazing song. Without getting muso about it, because he wouldn’t, it’s just got beautiful chords and melody and the way it’s structured. And hopefully people hear that.

He's a great musician as well. he came down last week to play some keyboards on a couple of tracks. Which was great. I don't know if people realise he's a kind of all-rounder really. He's great on drums. Really good bass player as well. Even though he's a mate I've known him a long time. I'm still a fan of Noel as well, really. I still love his music and I look forward to hearing every record."

No comments